Tuesday, July 20, 2010

It's about time...

Prepare yourselves for quite the update... (I thought i'd give you something to look at in case you were REALLY bored)



So... yes we did go on that cruise and yes it was absolutely AMAZING! Here is just a little glimpse of the most gorgeous beach we've ever been on (and might I add- one of the top ten in the world- or so they say). It was so nice to get away just the two of us again to celebrate 5 years together of "pure wedded bliss." :) Ha ya right...


But in all seriousness it really has been the best 5 years ever and I would never trade them for anything! Love you Derek- thank you for putting up with me and my stubborn personality, that I accidently passed on to our daugher. You really deserve more then a cruise for living with us! :) More pictures to come when I finally have more time to sit down and post more. I've got a lot to catch up on, due to baby's first birthdays, working, moving (twice!), holidays, summertime fun, and sadly the loss of a great friend to cancer.



And yes I did miss this thing more then words can say- especially since she started walking while we were gone! (Technically we could say that she took her first steps before we left, but she really got the walking thing down while we were gone... I can't let myself think about it too much, because BELIEVE me I feel guilty!) Sad thing is that I don't think she missed us a whole lot- gotta love the swing, tramp, and all the attention you get at grandma's house.





First Birthday- May 26th, 2010



I can't believe this thing is already one! Actually she's nearly 14 months! So this picture of her on her birthday is a little outdated.. I know it's cliche but it really has flown by! She is walking, talking/jibber-jabbering ALOT, getting into EVERYTHING (are we surprised), throwing ginormous fits/tantrums, and making us laugh everyday.

We counted it up the other and she says over 80 words and new ones everyday- lately it's been "house, muffin," and of course her latest obsession "babies." This girl is a sponge and tries to repeat everything we say- I know this is probably normal, but you all know how exciting it seems when it's your own kid. One of her favorites during the move was "no, no, no" (while pointing that tiny finger of course). I felt bad, can you tell she was making it hard to pack?


For her birthday we took her on an innocent little trip to the zoo (or so we thought). Note to selves- don't start with the elephant show. It was all going well until they made that loud, trumpeting/shout that elephants make, and then it all went downhill... (Mean daddy laughing... mean mommy taking pictures instead of consoling).

This is just the beginning of what has transitioned to a very deep fear of elephants that we are slowly working on- for a while many pictures or animals that even resembled an elephant brought on this reaction. She didn't end up taking any naps that day because she'd start crying this hard when she was alone, you could tell she was still traumatized and probably has bad elephant dreams from time to time today.



Later on we opened presents, presents,

and more presents.


Enjoying some B-day cake- she hardly made a dent in it! I'll try not to take offense that it was due to my baking skills.


Little party details...


I do think we've made some progress with the elephant though... Since that day, my friend has given her a stuffed pink one that Kambri couldn't stand the sights of. When she'd pick it up she couldn't bare to look it in the eye and would only hold it's tail while rushing over to give to us. Luckily, with a lot of hugging/petting and convincing her that it was "nice," she is slowly making ammends with the elephant. Unfortunately, we confused her some because she now thinks it's name and all elephant's names, for that matter, are "ni" (aka "nice"). Don't try to make a realistic elephant noise or show her one on tv though, because it still causes this reaction.

7 comments:

Cassie said...

Poor girl! Elephants can be scary. So big! So loud! You can't blame her. Thanks for the update Jess. You are just gorgeous. Have to say it.

Devin, Abby, and Grady said...

Love her. She's so cute. Grady misses her and I'm sorry we got sick and couldn't watch her today. We would have LOVED having her! Can't wait to see your new place and we'll be calling you to see what we can do to help.

Mike and Lisa said...

It sounds like you guys have had a busy, but fun, summer!

tycee said...

Fun Jess! Rich and I may go on an Eastern Caribbean cruise this fall, and that beach looks a-mazing.
That pic of Kambri on your lap while she's opening presents is super cute

Mindy said...

Can't believe she's already a year old. I think I still think of her as a tiny baby because I rarely see her! You need to come visit now that you're closer and before I go back to work too soon!
She looks absolutely beautiful in that first picture of you two with a flag....Cute!

Brant & Lindsay said...

I am so glad you made it St. John! It is so beautiful! Kambri is so cute! What a cute cake and hat you made her! Lets go to lunch!!

Breklyn said...

Hooray for an update! I've heard this elephant story but seeing that terrified face just makes the story that much better! Hopefully it doesn't create a life-long elephant phobia :) Cute, cute birthday girl! I seriously LOVE that face!